Sunday, April 26, 2009

Eclecticism.

Generally I cringe when someone says to me, "My taste is very eclectic.". Usually, it means a conglomeration of objects with sentimental attachment and some other objects which no real point of view. Ugh!

Mixing it up is a benchmark of my design phil
osophy. Although certain styles continually capture my attention, never would I call myself a strict mid-century modernist, classicist or country designer.

BG Pete, Bonsai and I found ourselves raising our bidding numbers (well not Bonsai) as we continued to discover the meaning of eclecticism. I say, YAY!

Recently we acquired pieces from the Harvey Probber Inc attorneys estate. The first is a sweeping sectional in embroidered turquoise silk, a dramatically comfortable statement in a loft or penthouse. The second is a set of marvelous Probber dining chairs remarkable in their contrast of caned and upholstered backs.







I can see it all with the Aesthetic movement firescreen
with the sculpted turkey work of the white American hawk and various flowers. Hollywood modern meets East Coast Mid-Century chic. Now, there is eclectic!

A
few well chosen pieces with great lines, bountiful drama and color are making the statement. There is no better way to show your personal eclectic elan.



No comments:

Post a Comment